NOTE: Dates, times and fees are subject to change without notice.
Urban Foresters/Municipal Arborists: Has their Time Come?
December 2 at 9:45 AM - 11:30 AM
Program will be followed by a tour of Lasdon Arboretum for those interested. Snacks provided.
The Lower Hudson Valley Region 3 DEC ReLeaf Committee, representing the 7-county area north of New York City, invites you to learn about and advise us on ways to improve your urban forest management program. For more on ReLeaf, https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5307.html
- 10:00 a.m. INTRODUCTIONS.
- URBAN FORESTRY QUESTIONS. Let’s hear your challenges for canopy cover, tree management, environmental justice neighborhoods. What assistance would be of value?
- ARBOR DAY PHOTO CONTEST and upcoming webinar news
- UPCOMING DEC STATE GRANT OPPORTUNITY: Round 16 Urban and Community Forestry Grant Program. Federal and State grants of note.
- 10:30 a.m. DISCUSSION: Urban forestry is high on the list of the Federal IRA and State Climate Act funding, and may include job creation opportunities under grants. Effective State funding for urban tree inventories and management plans, tree planting, and maintenance to improve our urban areas depends upon expertise and municipal programs with vision and long-term goals. For this to happen, it appears that full-time, part-time or internship programs providing urban foresters/municipal arborists will be needed to provide the technical and planning expertise needed to include trees as part of urban infrastructure. Learn about and share with us possible options that would work for your municipality!
- 6. 11:30 a.m. TOUR of Lasdon
Contact Co-chairs: Please RSVP to Jean Zimmerman 914-564-6544, firstname.lastname@example.org or George Profous 845-256-3082, email@example.com